The Moffat Centre has worked successfully with Visit Hull & East Yorkshire (VHEY), one of the UK’s fledgling Destination Management Organisations, in shaping its strategy and intervention in tourism product development over the last four years.
This successful relationship is reflected in VHEY receiving the Best Tourist Body 2009 Award, beating high profile nominees such as Visit London, Tourism South East and North East England.
Back in 2006, we were commissioned to carry out a product audit of the region to focus marketing and investment efforts. The audit included a detailed review of existing activity, interviews with a wide range of private and public sector tourism stakeholders, an intensive product review and benchmarking/best practice exercise.
Key recommendations focused on the development of three specific sub-brands: the East Yorkshire Wolds, the East Yorkshire Coast and Hull, the City brand.
Product development plans for the Wolds and Coast have been successfully implemented, gaining support and joint investment from a range of public and sector stakeholders.
These plans for the development of the main VHEY brand and sub brands have included the following exciting development:
- Co-ordinated signage and interpretation throughout the Wolds and the Coast that is creating a greater sense of place for visitors
- Local knowledge seminars, Yorkshire Passion, for industry to embed knowledge at the customer-staff interface
- Re-focussing of visitor information provision that aligns with new user technologies
- Animating the Wolds Way national trail with sculptured seating, art installations and new signposting
- Development and promotion of walking and cycling routes
- Co-ordinated support for the development of exciting new heritage and wildlife attractions
- Pulling together independent events under the umbrella of Wolds and Coast Festivals
For more information: